There is always a story waiting to be told.
Grab a cup of coffee and join me as I share some Salt & Light.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Soup & Salt


The place that I work provides free soup to the employees daily. Two recent soups made me think about writing this post and what 2011 was to me and what the New Year has to offer. A few weeks back the soup was a chicken and broth, with some random vegetables. I am not a fan of the broth soups at work, preferring the rich and creamy soups. However, I never bring a lunch and am at the mercy of the soup provided. Beggars can’t be choosers. This particular broth soup was not very flavorful and was severely lacking salt. It had some herbs in it, but not enough to enhance the flavors in the soup by any means. Just the other day, again, it was a broth soup with chicken, huge carrot slices and some noodles. Seriously, I’m convinced they make the associate soup with the leftovers from the paying customers. I was hesitant to dive into another tasteless soup for lunch, but I ladled it into a cup nevertheless. This soup was delicious and salty! It was hearty without being heavy! It was so good and I was warm and toasty and ready to face my afternoon at work! So, what do these soups have anything to do with the year in review and ringing in the new? I feel like 2011was that first soup… It was bland. Sure it was full of things that were good and good for me (like the chicken – protein, and the vegetables that are healthy for me!), but it felt watered down and was just “okay”. 2011 had “stuff to it” like the herbs in the soup, but it lacked that flavor that salt provides to a dish, if you will. During the last year, I have heard God tell me repeatedly, “Salt and Light”. In many different ways and regarding many different things this has been the response from God. From the Message…

Matthew 5:13 "Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.” 

I have determined that my focus in 2012, and every year really, needs to be putting into action how we are called to be salt and light to others. “Christians should not blend in with everyone else. Instead, we should affect others positively, just as seasoning brings out the best flavor in food.” Stay tuned for more on my salty adventures and more of this story …

0 comments:

Post a Comment