There is always a story waiting to be told.
Grab a cup of coffee and join me as I share some Salt & Light.

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Time may change me

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes (Turn and face the stranger)... So did I tell you about when I saw the doctor while we were in Illinois? I figured I needed to have some labs done for my thyroid (I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism) seeing as I have been on the cocktail of antidepressants that I am on for a while now. Meds make my thyroid get out of whack and I can tell when it's gone awry. My hair has been falling out in huge clumps. But the main problem I have been having is the hot flashes. I kept turning the air conditioning colder and colder in the house to where everyone was freezing. I would break into a profuse sweat. Literal drips on the forehead and chest first thing when I get up in the morning. I hadn't done anything to break the sweat. Trust me. I don't do anything until I've had a cup of Jo. Or three.

So I explain to the doctor that I am losing enough hair to clog the shower drain weekly and the hot flashes have got to go. He looks into my file and reads for a bit, then scratches his head and asks me about the family history of early menopause. I told him I'd have no way of knowing, seeing as all the women on my mother's side of the family had hysterectomies very early on. He replied then, with an "interesting" or a "huh" or something. After some more thought, a few questions and more staring into my history within the manila folder, he said to me, and this I can't forget... "Well I think you might be in early menopause. I think your ovaries are done." It wasn't bad how he said it. Just matter of fact.

And that's all fine with me. Really. Upon doing more research, it could explain a lot. Many of the symptoms of menopause are all those that go along with the depression - including... wait for it.... depression! So, I have to get an ultrasound and whatever to see if it is in fact "The Change." Could be. I don't care. It would be nice to know if that is it, so I can take some supplements or something to combat the hot flashes! And maybe start to pick up the pieces of my life! Come on already! Sheesh!

Oh, and to answer the question, I am 33.

0 comments: